Saturday, March 26, 2011

My First 10k

My monumental first ever 10k run finally happened on a lovely Saturday morning via the Womens Health Athena All Womens Run. It was a step-up which took a long time in coming due to my (unwarranted ) fear of not being able to finish it and consequently humiliating myself. But after numerous 5k runs, I feel I needed a challenge. So after the PSE Bull Run last January I committed myself to do my first 10k run in June this year. But a month later, I found out about the All Womens Run of Womens Health and Athena Milk to be held in late March. I figured what better way to finally do my long-awaited 10k run but with an all womens run on women's month!

So I trained (and prayed) not so much on speed but for endurance. I vowed to cross that finish line no matter how long it takes. I ran and I walked through the whole course while listening to some upbeat music to help keep my andrenalin going. Instead of  focusing on reaching the finish line, I silently made mini goals like reaching the the next turn  or the next lampost or overtaking the runner ahead of me.

After 1hr 21mins and 28 seconds, I am officially a 10k finisher! I ranked 160th out of 213 women runners. It was nothing impressive but it was a personal achievement so it is nonetheless a cause for celebration. *woot! woot!*

No comments:

Post a Comment