Sunday, July 10, 2011

SlimmeRUN

July 10, 2011 - Bonifacio Global City

This run was doomed (for me and my sister, at least) from the very start. It was a series of unfortunate events. 

The original SlimmeRUN poster

My sister and I are lifetime members of Slimmers World but I was more interested in doing the Manila International Marathon (MIM) scheduled last June 26, a day after SlimmerRun for two reasons. First, MIM registration was cheaper and second, the venue was nearer our place. I can commute by myself and need not bother Caloy to drive me all the way to BGC. But my sister/running buddy wanted to do SlimmeRun and I guess out of loyalty to this gym which had been a constant witness to my struggle to keep fit in the last 7 years, I agreed. And besides, the singlet was really nice =)



The singlet design. I got myself the pink one =)

I volunteered to register for both of us one very rainy Sunday in SW SM North EDSA. It was quite disappointing because  apparently the personnel tasked to handle the registration will not be coming in that day and he/she did not leave the singlets (not even the samples) nor the official receipts. The staff present still processed our registration but issued us a temporary receipt only and we will have to go back for the singlets. It's such a bummer when you expect to receive what you ought to get in one trip and then find out it ain't gonna be the case. My sister had to make an unscheduled trip to SW SM Northe EDSA after office hours that week to be able to claim our singlets.

Then a few weeks before the race, my sister developed a skin allergy that was so bad her dermatologist told her that she cannot be exposed directly under the sun until after she's healed. So that means no running for her for a while and which also means I will be running alone in a race that I was not that interested in the first place. Hay....

Then Typhoon Falcon came a few days before the race and wreak havoc in the running community's schedule (see previous post). I think all outdoor sports activities scheduled that weekend were cancelled including SlimmeRun and Manila International Marathon. So I stayed home that Saturday, alternating watching TV, Facebooking and blogging while it was flooding like hell outside as Falcon kept pouring its wrath on us. 


The series of unfortunate events finally ends when they rescheduled the run on July 10. After all the brouhaha, I will have to miss the run after all because we have a long overdue family trip that weekend. I gave away my race bib and D-tag to my cousin's officemate so it wouldn't go to a complete waste. I kept the singlet, though. I guess this run wasn't really meant to be. Tsk tsk.

 My race bib and D-tag.




Update as of July 25, 2011

Ms. Unknown Runner, recipient of my SlimmeRUN race bib was a fast runner! I checked the results under my name and was surprised to see that she finished at 1hr and 3mins. It usually takes me 20mins more to complete a 10k run.


She was also the recipient of a very fat lootbag as posted by Run Adobo King in his blogsite.
http://runadoboking.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/rainy-run-fat-loot-bag-new-pr-slimmerun/




No comments:

Post a Comment